Saturday, October 28, 2006

It's Not Easy Being Green!

Jealousy! What a vicious character. Warping one's mind to think things that are not necessarily the truth. Okay, this morning as I was going through a few things (I'm in the middle of packing--we're moving), I came across an old note book with some notes that I had jotted down. The topic of discussion: Jealousy, and what to do about it.

I was taught to believe that jealousy is a wasted emotion, that can wreak the most havoc, if allowed to go unchecked. I also know, that jealousies ugly root hides in the guise of insecurities. When you are insecure about anything...Beware! The green eyed monster is not too far behind.

I've experienced battles with the green eyed monster; we all have. If you say you haven't, I'm apt to believe that most of what you say isn't the truth. Anywho! I learned, it is not easy being green! Jealousy takes a lot of energy. What was I jealous about, you might ask? Well, keeping it honest and real...I have dealt with a weight issue what seems like FOREVER! But I was maintaining, losing a few pounds here and there. Then enter a co-worker. Who, by the way, in my opinion did not need to lose an ounce! However, she felt she did, and so she started this new "diet" (I so hate that word), anywho. She started dropping the pounds, faster than I could blink.

Now enters my jealousy...she was looking wonderful, and when I looked at myself...Blah! I could hardly stand to be in the same room as her. I wished, she'd just be quiet about all her success! But in all actuality, I was angry at myself for what seem to me at the time--as my failure. I found myself not being very social with her, as I was previously. In fact, I found myself pulling away from many activities that I was doing at the time.

My God! What was happening to me? Jealousy! That green eyed monster nearly cost me a friendship, and almost caused me to put back on the few pounds I did lose! Because if you didn't know it, let me tell you now; jealousy can easily lead to self-pity, and for many people in that state--they eat to suppress the feelings that they are trying to evade. Lord, help me please! I really had to get a hold of myself. So, I started writing down my "feelings" in my journal, and appropriately named: It's Not Easy Being Green!

How did I finally get it together? I yelled at myself. My brother and sister in-law affectionately call me, The Captain. I have a no non-sense kind of attitude, and not too mention the effect I have on my nieces and nephews. So, I had to be my own drill sergeant, and take charge of my poor attitude and get it together.

My primary problem? Comparing myself to someone else. We should never compare ourselves to anyone else. Besides, you don't even know what that person may be going through. Or, what it took for them to get where they are at. Their shoes may not be such a great fit. And please, learn to love the skin you're in. Because until you do, no one else can.

Jealousy! Boy do we know you well...Perhaps too well. It's definitely not easy being green...So, I'm choosing another color!

Love Yourself

No comments: