Saturday, January 13, 2007

You Just Don't Know...You Are Beautiful!

The other day, I went shopping for a few things. As I was waiting for the bus, I began singing worship songs. I really didn't care who heard me...It wasn't for them anyway. So, there I am, standing in this small alcove with about seven people or so, and I notice this young woman walking towards us.

What made me notice her, was the fact that she was speaking out loud to herself, and cursing like a dirty sailor. I continued singing, but I couldn't remove my eyes from her...there was something about her. She was dressed as though she came from an interview. The closer she got, the louder she got. She was walking fast, shaking her head. When she got in front of me, I heard her say something so painful and disheartening: "I hate this s***! I can't stand it no more! I'm just so f****** ugly! I'm too ugly to live!"

My mouth flew open in disbelief. I turned around to see if everyone else heard what I heard. Everyone else was just standing there, not suprised. As if this happened everyday. I stepped forward out of the alcove to see where she was. She was walking so fast, I couldn't catch her, so I immediately started praying.

My heart went out to her. I don't know what her life is like, or what her experiences have been, but she was beautiful to me. It pained my heart to hear that. Because I hear it quite a bit. I have worked with many young people, adults, and even the elderly. And, it suprises me still, to see how many people do not love themselves. Let alone, like themselves. I'm not just talking about females, either. But males, as well.

We are living in such a vain world, that capitalizes on a person's looks. And, we are so driven to look like the people that seem to be getting the most attention. We aspire to look like the "beautiful" people, not seeing or believing our own beauty. We fight to be, and secretly wish to be one of the popular ones. Believing this would give us a chance in life.

Well, the truth is, we all have a chance in life. Whether we believe it or not. We all have in us the opportunity to either live life, or let life pass us by; always standing on the sidelines, waiting for some momentous thing to occur.

Who defines beauty for you? What defines beauty for you? Beauty begins within. And, no matter how popular you are, how many changes you make to the outside, you will never be satisfied, if inside you are not happy with yourself, and can appreciate who God created you to be.

I bet there are many popular, "beautiful" people who are miserable inside. But no one really knows that, because they are too focused on that person's outside appearance. I was fairly popular in school. I had a lot of friends; I could make friends easily. But, I was miserable on the inside. Because I was always comparing myself to some one else. I had a weight problem, and I felt I was ugly. I hated myself. But, many of my friends didn't know that. Even when I got to college. Do you know, I would coach other people on how to be out-going and self-loving, while I couldn't do that for myself? Well, of course you didn't know that! But, what I'm saying is, many people you see that seem so happy and have everything together, just may be miserable on the inside.

We are a peculiar species. Never realizing that the true secret to beauty, and happiness, lies within our selves. We have the ability, and capacity to live the kind of life that is fulfilling and exciting. If we would just recognize, that within every person, there is greatness, beauty, love, life. We don't have to hold ourselves to false standards, and false impressions. All we have to do, is begin to love the skin we are in. And, everything else will fall into place.

Maybe no one has ever told you, so I will: You just don't know, YOU are beautiful!

Be Blessed, Beautiful.

No comments: